Join the teamDatabase Administrator
We are looking for a Database Administrator to join the What If Media Group Data Management team in order to help maintain and optimize our various database systems. The Database Administrator will be responsible for the implementation, configuration, and maintenance of critical production RDBMS platforms in our AWS-based cloud. This is a “hands-on” position requiring strong technical skills, as well as excellent interpersonal and communication skills. The successful candidate will be responsible for various database environments including, but not limited to production and development, ensuring operational uptime with a focus on data asset security, health, and performance. Must be capable of working independently and collaboratively with various groups and stakeholders. This position can be remote or on-site at our Fort Lee headquarters. Help us implement best practices not only on our Data Management Team but across the technical organization.
- Work with our Software Engineering, DevOps, and Data Science teams to manage access requirements and security of data assets.
- Assist software engineers with query tuning and optimization as well as schema refinement. Recommend best practices for database object creation.
- Work closely with software engineers in order to implement physical database designs and database changes while supporting change management procedures.
- Work with stakeholders including the Executive, Product, Development, and Data Science teams to assist with data-related technical issues and support their data infrastructure needs.
- Identify, design, and implement internal process improvements including automating processes, optimizations for greater scalability, as well as capacity planning.
Control and monitor user access to the various databases.
- Ensure the performance, integrity, and security of different database software including but not limited to PostgreSQL, MySQL/MariaDB, DynamoDB, and Snowflake.
Education & Experience
- Bachelor’s degree or higher, preferably in a STEM-related discipline
- 5+ years of prior professional experience
- 5+ years PostgreSQL, MySQL, or MariaDB Server Administration experience in a high-volume environment desired.
- Experience in maintaining very large databases, supporting high-volume OLTP applications, with a deep understanding of high availability solutions.
- Strong understanding of backups, restore, and recovery models as well as Replication.
- Advanced working knowledge of SQL, relational databases, and query tuning/optimization.
- Familiarity with a variety of non-relational data stores including Data Warehouses, NoSQL Systems, and Data Lakes.
- Deep understanding and experience with database security.
- Expert analysis and troubleshooting skills as well as experience performing root cause analysis on internal and external data and processes.
- Experience with automated testing platforms and continuous integration.
- Comfortable with cloud computing services and concepts (AWS preferred).
- Proficiency with source control tools, such as Git.
- Strong analytical, quantitative, and organizational skills.
- Experience supporting and working with cross-functional teams in a dynamic environment.
Tools We Use (Nice to Have)
- Languages and frameworks: PL/pgSQL, Python, R, and PHP
ETL: AWS DMS, Airflow, and Kafka
- AWS services: S3, EC2, ECS, EKS, RDS, Lambda, Route53, and API Gateway, and Glue
- Business intelligence tools: Looker
- Project Management: Jira, Confluence
- Monitoring: ELK, Prometheus
What If Media Group is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We provide employees with a competitive salary and bonus plan, as well as generous medical, dental, vision, & 401k plans. If you would like to learn more about this exciting position, please contact [email protected]. We look forward to hearing from you!